Home / GitHub Page

[Feature request] archive notes

Ideally, it could work like this:
On android app, swipe left or right on a note to mark it as “archived”. On next sync the note is marked as archived on server and deleted from phone. Finally on next desktop sync the note is moved to an archive notebook on desktop and deleted from server.

(That would be case with one mobile and one desktop devices. With more devices the archived note remains on server until it has been deleted from or moved to archive notebook on all devices)

Different users may prefer to have the archive notebook on differnt devices or all devices. The point (for me) of archiving is that there are notes that are better not to carry around but are useful to keep archived just in case.

On another note, I would like to say that I am syncing with nextcloud and everyhting is working surprisingly nicely. The only problem I see is that perhaps React Native is not as native as they advertise it. Opening notes feels sluggish and the side panel is hard to work with. Other than that it’s a dream app. Thanks!

This seems a strange request to me. :thinking:

Why would you want to have archived notes on all your desktop devices except the server? What could be a use-case for this?

(I myself am strongly opposed to this idea: I want to know that when I see a note in Joplin, it’s also been backed up on my backend and killing my HDD won’t ruin my notes.)

Why not create an “Archive” notebook and move the notes there yourself?

perhaps archive notebook is a confusing term.
basically the idea is to define a notebook on one or more devices that are not synced with the rest of devices so that when notes are flagged as “archived” they are moved to these no-sync notebooks and erased from all other notebooks.

it’s a security feature. you set up no-sync notebooks on secured devices and erase notes that you dont need to carry with you while keeping a secured copy
but it may serve other purposes too.
it’s the way i deal with email