Home / GitHub Page

Joplin Terminal profile setting/config? read-only?

Is there a way to set the profile in joplin terminal so it always opens the same notebooks I’m syncing with joplin desktop. I tried to set alias joplin = “joplin --profile location”, but that didn’t seem to stick.

I understand that sync conflicts could arise if i make changes while both clients are open, so I’m pretty good about making sure I have only one open. The terminal version has some stats/features that the desktop doesn’t have, and sometimes I want one or the other.

related: is it possible to have a --read-only flag for the joplin terminal

Thanks

With joplin --profile ~/.config/joplin-desktop (for Linux) you open all the stuff you own and access with the desktop

yes, and I have to type that in everytime.
If it was a config setting, I could just type joplin when I wanted to use my default setup.

Thus a simple alias should do the trick.

But :wink:

If you forget this alias, and enter Joplin --profile , you will face an issue with twice --profile parms

An alias should work. I have this one set and it works fine: alias j="joplin --log-level debug"

Maybe your alias doesn’t work because you give it the same name as the executable? What about with something like alias my-joplin="joplin --profile location" ?

I did wonder about that.

I can try to add a new alias. But, do you think making this a setting would be useful for more people?

Nope, I’m constantly using aliases to change the default behavior of commands. You probably don’t have the joplin executable in your PATH and didn’t specify the absolute path in the alias.
Also a ./joplin won’t use the alias.

new alias works wonderfully. :wink: thanks.