Home / GitHub Page

Support for links to local file?

Can Joplin support links to local files in the notes?

Here’s an article on the topic: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Links_to_local_pages_don’t_work

I am currently not having success in creating links to places in my local filesystem, let me know if there is some kind of trick to it.

Not that I’m aware of. The real question is what local is supposed to mean.

e.g. if the note is synced to a Nextcloud server (or any type of server), people could define local as a file in the Nextcloud (server) webdav directory structure.
On the other hand others mights see a local file as a file on the client. However, this will most likely lead to issues since this file won’t be available on all clients.

My question was in regard to the most ‘local’ kind of link - to files on a specific computer (actually a networked drive with one of those UNC paths in my particular use).

I acknowledge the obvious fact that a local link would not work on a different computer without access to the same local file system. Despite that, the feature would be of some utility IMHO. An unsuccessful attempt to follow a local link from a different local environment would be a case of user-error.

The concept of file links to the local cloud host is also a good one, but not what I am specifically after in this particular topic.

Someone tried it recently and it seems it already works. Simply put the full path to the file as the url, without file://

neat, thanks for the tip - it appears that the spaces in my path break this functionality, and enclosing within single or double quotes do not help. (This is the Windows client, BTW)

Can you try to encode the space with %20?

Replacing the spaces with ‘%20’ does make the display correct in Joplin, however the link does not function.

Just tried on macOS with latest Joplin version and it doesn’t work either.
I get the message: Unsupported link or message: /absolute/path/to/file.pdf

As far as I understand it, Joplin uses markdown-it to translate markdown into html. Markdown-it by itself allows only html links per default, see https://markdown-it.github.io/markdown-it/#MarkdownIt.prototype.validateLink

One can (as they suggest) overwrite the default behavior by

md.validateLink = function () { return true; }

thereby enabling all url types. Entering this line in MdToHtml.js (render function) will enable the file-link with the following syntax:

[test](file:///home/user/test.pdf)

Instead of allowing all types of url one can use an altered version of the markdown-it original function: