Home / GitHub Page

Sync issue with Electron app after Evernote import


#1

Hi,

the Electron desktop app has been syncing to Dropbox for a few days now after importing my notes from Evernote. (~3400 notes, 2.3 GB .enex files)
Everything seems to be fine until I got a “Some items cannot be synchronised. View them now” warning.

It says (ac23ca14851b4dde82a03ff4f28040d9): File not found: C:\Users\MYUSERNAME/.config/joplin-desktop/resources/ac23ca14851b4dde82a03ff4f28040d9.jpg and that file is indeed not in that folder. The sync status shows that 3447 of 3447 files have been synced and nothing else seems to be wrong.

The syncReport csv file has over 24.000 entries and shows this entry for the missing file:
4,ac23ca14851b4dde82a03ff4f28040d9,1536588696983,0,

I noticed that this is the only row with a 0 at its 4th column.

After importing the .enex files I did not touch any notes in Joplin. I was just waiting for the sync to finish and so that I can start syncing to my other devices. (Is this necessary? Shouldn’t I setup the syncing on my laptop and phone before the PC finished the initial upload?)

In the log.txt I can’t find anything interesting. Maybe here:

2018-09-10 23:31:45: "Synchronisation was cancelled."
2018-09-10 23:31:45: "Operations completed: "
2018-09-10 23:31:45: "createRemote: 10776"
2018-09-10 23:31:45: "cancelling: 1"
2018-09-10 23:31:45: "Total folders: 4"
2018-09-10 23:31:45: "Total notes: 3447"
2018-09-10 23:31:45: "Total resources: 16972"

This was when I manually paused the sync in order to turn the PC hibernate for the night. The log-database.txt has nothing relevant in it.

Could it be that Joplin loses the current file if I cancel an ongoing sync operation? :thinking: :scream:


#2

Probably an image which for some reason was not imported correctly. Could you search for the id " ac23ca14851b4dde82a03ff4f28040d9" in your notes and find where this image is attached (it should be part of a note).

Then try to locate the corresponding note in Evernote and export just that one to ENEX. Then import it again in Joplin and check if it was imported and if it syncs successfully. If not, please post the ENEX file here and I’ll try to replicate the issue.

No, normally the sync process can recover from all kind of faults, crashes and network errors. For now at least there is no known bug.


#3

I tried to search for the id and it shows no results. I have no idea how to find the note with the missing element now. :man_shrugging:
Maybe i just leave it be and just in case leave Evernote installed (or use their web app :thinking:).


#4

It can be tricky to get to the bottom of these issues when importing enex files. It could just be some weird almost invalid data in the enex file (especially since it doesn’t appear to be linked to any note), which resulted in an invalid resource being created.

If the 3400+ notes are there though I assume it should be fine but I’d suggest you check a few notes that you know have images or other attachments, and see if they have been imported correctly.


#5

Thanks for your support!
Aside from some formatting issues that can be manually fixed on-demand the other notes look fine. Even my biggest note (25.6 MB) with multiple pdf attachments has been imported correctly.